State Sponsored Life Insurance (SSLI)
TThe State Sponsored Life Insurance (SSLI) program is derived from United States Public Law 93-289, May 1974, Title 37, Section 707 and is offered through the Minnesota National Guard. The program is comprised of a combination of several voluntary group life insurance policies sponsored by the National Guard Association of Minnesota. SSLI is available to all members of the Minnesota National Guard, officer and enlisted. The National Guard Association of Minnesota administers the program under a Memorandum of Understanding with the Military Department.
The NGAMN is a member of the Militia Insurance Trust (MIT). The Militia Insurance Trust is comprised of 13 National Guard Associations.
Every eligible member of the Minnesota National Guard is covered with $1,000 SSLI at no cost to the member. This $1,000 benefit is provided through the Militia Insurance Trust’s Guardian Group Term Life Insurance Policy.
Key Benefits of the SSLI
- Up to $1,000,000 in coverage available for the Minnesota National Guard’s members through a combination of the SSLI policies.
- Coverage is available for your spouse and children.
- Rates do not go up just because you separate from the National Guard –you can keep your coverage and premium amount when you separate.
- Coverage 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- No War Exclusion - you are covered in combat.
- No Aviation Exclusion - aviators are covered.
- New Recruits are eligible for $10,000 SSLI coverage under the MIT Guardian Group Term Life Insurance policy at no cost for the first year of service in the Minnesota National Guard. Premiums are paid by your association. Enrollment must occur within 180 days of joining the Minnesota National Guard.
Go to www.NGSSLI.com for more information including eligibility, benefits, rates, exclusions, limitations and renewal provisions. Application and brochure are also available to download, complete and mail to the Administrator.
USBA and Militia Guardian Group Term Life Insurance policies are underwritten by New York Life Insurance Company. Policy form GMR
MBA’s SSLI Level to Age 50 group life policy is underwritten by Met Life.