Chiropractic Health Parity
Chiropractic Legislation Update - Now that the November elections are over, we are looking to create a "call to action" on the NGAMN website to get a Senate companion bill for HR 4973 "Chiropractic Health Parity for Military Beneficiaries Act". NGAMN members can write to Senator Klobuchar and Senator Smith and ask them to author or sponsor a Senate companion bill for HR 4973 "Chiropractic Health Parity for Military Beneficiaries Act".
Below are the instructions to submit a letter to your Minnesota State Elected Officials. Please read all instruction first before acting.
- Click EANGUS Legislative Call to Action Page in a seperate window to find the online form.
- Scroll down to the "Find Officials" Dialogue Box.
- Enter your ZIP code, click the small grey arrow (Enter will not submit).
- Enter your Street Address, click the small grey arrow (Enter will not submit).
- Under Federal officials select Sentors Amy Klobuchar and Tina Smith
- Click "Compose Message"
- Copy and paste the following into the subject: Tricare Coverage for Chiropractic Care
- Copy and paste the message following these instructions into the Message Body of the form.
- Enter in the remaining required information.
- Click "Send Message"
- Topic One select "Health Care"
- Finally, click "Send Message"
Message to Copy and Paste is below:
Dear Senator Klobuchar/Smith
I am writing to urge you to author or sponsor a Senate companion bill to the bi-partisan HR 4973 "Chiropractic Health Parity for Military Beneficiaries Act". Our military retirees, dependents, and survivor beneficiaries members covered under TRICARE do not have access to Chiropractic care.
Chiropractic care is available to Medicare beneficiaries, federal employees covered under the FEHB program, and active duty service members through military treatment facilities prior to retirement. This drug-free approach to pain management should be available to TRICARE recipients.
Reason to prioritize this legislative effort include:
1. Skeletal-muscular injuries are the number one complaint of service members returning home from deployment
2. Chiropractic care is the most cost effective approach to treating injuries according to OPTUM health study
3. Drug-free approach reduces risk of addiction to pain killers and opioids and the related suicides
4. Chiropractic care is the preferred treatment method according to past Department of Defense studies
5. Over 9 million TRICARE users are currently lacking coverage for chiropractic care
Thank you for your public service your desire to help ensure that service members and their families receive the best care.